Specific Phobia Symptoms Psychotherapy:
- Marked and persistent fear that is excessive or irrational, triggered by the presence or anticipation of the presence of a specific object or situation (eg air travel, heights, animals, injection, sight of blood, etc.).
- Exposure to the phobic stimulus almost always causes an immediate anxiety response which may take the form of a situationally linked or triggered panic attack.
- The person recognizes that the fear is excessive or irrational
- The phobic situation is avoided or endured with intense anxiety or discomfort
- Avoidance, anxious anticipation, or distress associated with the phobic condition significantly interferes with the person’s usual daily activities, occupational functioning, or social activities and relationships, or there is clear distress about having the phobia.
What exactly is a phobia?
It is a way for our body to tell us that there is a state within us, a hidden state which while we have it within us, we are not aware of it. However, such a situation does not surface on its own because it is really fearful and repressed. We have repressed it because there are very strong feelings there that we do not want to let go. So the organism transposes all this atmosphere to some “object” which can be airplanes, leaving the house, germs, animals, etc. This transposition is difficult but more tolerable than facing the real fear directly which is hidden below.
There, psychotherapy is needed to discover what is hiding and causing symptoms. In psychotherapy we use what happens between the therapist and the treated, we use the dream process as well as free association to be able to bring the self, gradually, into contact with its emotions. This process is long-term and does not simply reduce the symptoms but enables the person to come closer to himself and others.
*republication of the article is prohibited without the written permission of the author
The process of psychotherapy requires commitment, dedication and is addressed only to those who seriously see that they need to change their lives. If you are thinking of starting this journey, call me at 211 71 51 801 to make an appointment and see together how I can help you.
“θεραπεία σημαίνει η προσπάθεια να καταλάβει κανείς τον εαυτό του. Να τον κατανοήσει. Να μάθει γιατί μισεί, γιατί έχει χαμηλή αυτοεκτίμηση, γιατί δεν μπορεί να αγαπήσει, με λίγα λόγια να δει από που προέρχονται όλα αυτά…”
Για οτιδήποτε ψυχολογικό σας απασχολεί, μην διστάσετε να επικοινωνήσετε. Υπάρχει λύση σε κάθε πρόβλημα απλώς χρειάζεται να δούμε λίγο εσάς.
“healing means trying to understand oneself. To understand him. To find out why he hates, why he has low self-esteem, why he can’t love, in short to see where all this comes from…”
For anything psychological that concerns you, do not hesitate to contact. There is a solution to every problem we just need to see a little of you.